Full Restore for DC with NetBackup

I was doing some disaster recovery testing for Windows 2008 R2 domain controllers today with Veritas NetBackup. I’m running through and documenting some scenarios in a test environment. Better to document the steps before you need them!

Doing a non-authoritative and an authoritative restore went well by restoring the system state. Next up on my list was a full server restore.

The documentation for a full server restore was (to be kind) a bit fuzzy. The best of their articles I could find was this one:
At a high level, the instructions are:
  • Install and OS with the NetBackup client software.
  • Restore the drives (and don’t reboot yet)
  • Restore the system state
  • Reboot
My problem was that after the reboot I got a blue screen. After stopping the blue screen long enough to see the error, I saw this:
STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error:
The specified procedure could not be found
Error status: 0xc000007a
I did some searching and found lots of references to a corrupt AD database and fixing it by removing log files or doing a manual repair on the ntds.dit file. Just for kicks, I did try these because they were fast and easy, but not the answer.

This link from Microsoft gave me the hint I needed:
This link indicates that the error occurs when the Active Directory Domain Services role is removed before a domain controller is demoted. Basically, you have lobotomized DC that doesn’t have all the files anymore but is still trying to run the services. I tried to run ntdsutil and the file wasn’t there. That was a good hint that some files for AD DS were not there.

To fix my process, I installed the AD DS and DNS server roles before I did the restore. By doing those, all was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remove OEMDRV Drive from Dell Server

Stop SBS from Shutting Down

Expired Microsoft Exchange Server Auth Certificate