We are currently migrating a client from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. We've joined the new computer to the the domain, and run DCpromo on the SBS 2003 computer to remove the DC status. However, after seven days, SBS 2003 will start giving an error stating that it needs to be a DC and will shut down every 60 minutes ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555087 )! We need another few days to work on the migration. The Microsoft recommended solution for this is to insert disc 1, run setup, and remove the SBS 2003 component. This will leave a plain Win 2003 server without the shutdown issue. However, when I attempted to do this, setup errored out indicating that I was trying to upgrade to an older version which was not possible. Removing service packs may have worked, but here is a faster work around taken from a guy named Alan ( http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/af4fc3b4-bb50-4c5e-b09a-72ef2c3ac687 ) I've found a slightly more elegant solution to this problem rather...
I recently installed a Dell Server by using the Lifecycle Controller. This system uses a wizard to help with the installation of the operating system. In this case, I was installing Windows Server 2008 R2 to replace an existing Exchange 2010 server. As part of the installation, an OEMDRV USB drive is created by the Lifecycle Controller that contains the drivers used during OS installation. OS installation went well, but I ran into an issue afterwards. The OEMDRV drive was using E:, which I needed for my Exchange data. When you go into computer management, OEMDRV shows as a removable drive. However, you cannot change the drive letter or eject OEMDRV. By default the Lifecycle controller removes this drive after 18 hours, but I didn't want to wait that long. To force OEMDRV to be removed earlier, restart the server and press F10 to enter the Lifecycle Controller configuration. Then exit the Lifecycle Controller and reboot again. You don't need to make any changes in the configurat...
Get-ADUser includes a -Filter parameter that lets you define queries for users with specific characteristics. Today I was trying to figure out how to filter for $null values. Here is my example of why you might care to do this...... Let's say that in your organization, that you always set the Department attribute to match the department that users work in. This could be required for dynamic groups or address books. You've just created 100 new users, but forgot to configure the department. You need to make a query for all of the users without a department configured. My first attempt was this: Get-ADUser -Filter {company -eq $null} However, this generates an error. You can't use $null in a filter. What finally worked was this: Get-ADUser -Filter {company -notlike "*"} The gets a list of users where the company attribute is not like anything. I should also note that if you try to query for not equal (-ne) then it will skip $null values when comparing. The above exa...
Comments
Post a Comment