Finally a Use For IPv6

I finally have a good reason to use IPv6. In my test environments for creating classroom labs and activties, the computers are always using a different IPv4 address range than my internal network. However, with IPv6 automatically enabled in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, I can still copy files directly to the virtual machines from my regular workstation.

IPv6 automatically creates a link-local address for each computer. This allows communication between computers on the same logical network without any manual configuration. This is similar to APIPA addresses in IPv4, except, link-local addresses are done in addition to any other addresses, not as a replacement.

In this setup, I can use regular UNC paths even though the computers are on different IPv4 networks. Sweet.

Also very useful for remote control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remove OEMDRV Drive from Dell Server

Expired Microsoft Exchange Server Auth Certificate

Stop SBS from Shutting Down